A Guest Post

A month or so ago, right before BlogHer, I asked Issa from Issascrazyworld if she would guest post for me. I was a bit nervous…I am so NOT COOL enough for a guest post. I hit the send button on the email and prayed she wouldn’t laugh at me. She didn’t. She wrote back saying she would be honored. WHEW, what a relief! Thank you so much Issa…I heart you!

It’s always awesome to be asked to be a guest poster at someone’s blog. Its an honor really. However once you’ve said yes, then reality sets in. What can I say? What do I possibly say in someone elses place? What if I do this and then she stops liking me? I have nothing to talk about. Can I talk about my happiness that Top Chef comes back on tonight? No that is lame drivel. Save it for my blog.

Have I mentioned I’m an over thinker? Hi, I’m Issa and I’m an over thinker. Seriously though, thank you Ali for letting me into your space. I am truly honored.

NOT THAT MOM

I am not that mom. You know the one, the one who has it all together. The one whose children speak two languages; always look like they jumped off of a Baby Gap ad; do elaborate art projects in their spare time and play the cello. What, all four year olds don’t play the cello?

I am not that mom. I used to think it was important, back when my girls were babies. Heck, before I had children I thought I’d be that mom. It interesting how life changes you. Funny how the skills needed to be that mom are not suddenly handed to you with the baby wrapped like a burrito. I thought they would be. I truly did.

At some point though I started learning that the mom I am is okay. As my girls grew past the baby stages, I realized I’d actually rather be the mom I am, than the mom I thought I’d be.

I will let you in on a few little secrets of mine, for those of you who think you need to be that mom.

I don’t allow kid music in my house. Period. My kids rock out to Pink and Nickleback. They know all the words to every James Taylor, Mary J. Blige and Dixie Chicks song. They dance to Justin Timberlake and The Frey. They do not know now, nor have they ever known who the Wiggles are. None of the rest of it either. See I can’t even name it, as its not something we’ve ever listened too.

They watch what I watch on TV. Food Network is a family favorite. I allow Disney, but limit it. I will admit that both of the girls have seen Grey’s Anatomy. Not often, but they have seen it.

Yes my house is full of Disney movies, but my girls favorite movie is Transformers. Truly. My seven year old wants to see the new Fame movie more that she wanted to see UP.

I don’t allow scissors at my house. Or play-doh. Seriously. When my five year old proves she doesn’t need to make confetti, then she may have scissors. Until then, art projects happen at school or my bff’s house.

The most spanish they know is from Sesame Street. I’m happy to report that if in Mexico, my kids could ask for the yellow four. Perfectly in fact.

The cello? Ha. Ha. I can’t stop laughing at the thought. Morgan will start piano this fall however.

I wasn’t sad when my girls went to school this week. I know, shocking huh. Tons of people were sad about their kids going back, but I just wasn’t. Even though Bailey went to kindergarten I was kind of thrilled to have some piece and quiet in my house. Well its not actually quiet, since Harrison is still at home. Quieter at least.

I yell more than I wish I did; we eat out more than I’d like; my kids have more electronics than all of Best Buy and everything they own has that brat Miley Cyrus’s face on it. But you know what? It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t harm them. They are amazing despite all of this. Maybe even because of it.

That mom is a myth. And if she’s not, I’m happy to not be her. I’m okay with being the frazzled mom.

share save 171 16 A Guest Post

15 Responses to A Guest Post

• Ben says:

I guess one of the benefits of pulling a work all-nighter is being able to be the first to comment on the guest post by one of your favorite bloggers on the blog of another one of your favorite bloggers.

Issa, I am so glad you are not that mom. Whether she’s a myth or not, because she sounds totally uncool. You, on the other hand are way cool. It is so very wonderful to have you in our lives.

(Oh, and hi Ali!)
    .-= Ben´s last blog ..The Day Elvis Died =-.

• PB and Jazz says:

I can totally identify with you. I am not at all the mom I thought I would be. I am not even the mom I was 5 years ago. I love being a mom though, so rewarding.
    .-= PB and Jazz´s last blog ..A Piece of Me =-.

[Reply]

• Being “that mom” must be exhausting.

I’d rather have fun.
    .-= MommyGeekology´s last blog ..Narcissistic =-.

• becky says:

man we’re like the same person. we don’t have kids music either…tons of electronics…hannah watches greys with me…what else? oh yeah we eat out a lot. and we have cereal for dinner too :) i heart you issa. yay for a guest post. and yay ali for asking her!
    .-= becky´s last blog ..New Blog Update =-.

• Lu says:

I am SO not that mom either. I too am not the mom I thought I would be, honestly I think I thought I would be THAT mom. Bwhahahaha. I am still trying to figure out where I stand, being a mom of one 2 year old. Right now I just feel like a dictator. LOL It’s good to hear a mother (especially Issa b/c she is awesome and I lurves her) say this is who I am and I love it!
    .-= Lu´s last blog ..That Evening and The Funeral =-.

• AmazingGreis says:

I’m not that mom either. Oh, wait, maybe it’s cause I’m not a mom. LOL

So, I can’t really contribute much to this post, except Issa, you ROCK. It shouldn’t matter how you parent YOUR children. The only thing that matters is that they are loved and well taken care of and you’re doing a DAMN good job at that!!!

Hi Ali!
    .-= AmazingGreis´s last blog ..30 20 days of {BLANK} – Days 4 – 9 =-.

• avasmommy says:

We do have kids music, but Ava also loves our music. She likes country, pop, and seems to have quite the affinity for Queen. She also plays with my Ipod more than I do.

I think we all have preconceived notions of what kind of parents we *think* we will be. Then reality sets in. When kids look back on their childhood, they’ll recall it fondly. Because you are that *other* mom.
    .-= avasmommy´s last blog ..Twenty Years On, Part Two =-.

• melissa says:

*those* mom’s re a combination of myth and those who try to conform are no fun. In my house we do have some kid shows, etc but their favorite…Gilmore Girls. My 10mo old literally claps when she hears the theme song

• PrincessJenn says:

Love this post. How I was I was the ‘perfect’ mom. But that’s not going to happen in this lifetime. Glad to know I may not be perfect, but at least I’m normal. ;-)
    .-= PrincessJenn´s last blog ..Follow Friday: The Better Late Than Never Edition =-.

• Bridget says:

When I was a nanny, I was Mary-friggin Poppins. I always thought I’d be like that as a mom. I’m so, so not. And I’m glad…my kids have learned to entertain themselves without getting in trouble(often). They have great imaginations, and they know how to interact with kids their age AND adults.

I remember the whole “bad mother” drama a while back. I don’t think I’m a bad mother, nor am I a spectacular mother. I’m just a mom, and I’m glad I’m not the only one! :-)
    .-= Bridget´s last blog ..Right Now =-.

• Kay says:

No kiddie music in my house either. Sorry, but my son’s favorite song when he was like 3 was “How Bizarre”.
    The family TV time (yeah, I make it sound all like a tradition, it’s not) tends to gravitate towards the Military Channel, the History Channel, or the Learning Channel. I’m the only female in a houseful of testosterone.
    I’m counting the days til the teenager goes back to school. Unfortunately, my little one will still be home (still no medical clearance to return) with his nurse all day, so my fantasy of having a house to myself for the day is NOT going to be fulfilled.
    .-= Kay´s last blog ..My Sister, My Friend… =-.

• Kari says:

I agree – that perfect Mom doesn’t exist. And if she does, she lives in Stepford.

I totally think you should take your kids to Mexico, so they can ask for the yellow four. That is hilarious!
    .-= Kari´s last blog ..Happy Blogaversary to me! =-.

Issa Reply:

I’ve always thought about it.

Amarillo quatro? Sounds like a drink.
    .-= Issa´s last blog ..Follow Friday #3, Babbling Dad =-.

• anymommy says:

She’s so boring, ‘that mom.’ She doesn’t have time to blog, or drink, or have friends like you!
    .-= anymommy´s last blog ..Short and Sweet =-.

• i heart issa.
    .-= Sara @heartmychloe´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday : the faces of C lo =-.